Saturday, April 26, 2003

"The soul is healed by being with children"- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor experienced the death of both his mother(at only 16) and father(at age 18), was arrested and sentenced to death, spent four years in hard labour(wearing fetters),went on to experience the death of his first wife and brother, Apollinaria Suslova(whom he had an affair with and whom he considered his intellectual equal) declined his marriage proposal. He was also plagued by debts and frequent epileptic seizures. Perhaps as a result of his debts he become a obessive gambler. Furthermore, his first child Sophia lived for only three months.

My point is this: this man (who's quote I love) experienced his fair share of hardship yet believes that the soul (even one as damaged as his) can be healed by being with children.

Keep in mind however that I do not know the context in which his famous quote first appeared, if someone does please let me know.

I'm off now to visit all my younger gorgeous soul healing cousins.



No comments: