Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I am a student, I just don't act like one

I had a great long weekend. Went to the St Kilda Film Festival and saw a variety of different short films, had Claire and Dave over for Mulled Wine (see the recipe below), Uno (I won!!!), and really bad dvds-I'm sorry Claire and Dave! Explored some Jewish supermarkets and found spreadable pretzels, Alpha chocolates, and vegan drumstick style ice creams. Yay for Jewish supermarkets. Sampled the famous pumpkin and polenta bread at Las Chicas which was quite disappointing. I even managed to get in time to start cleaning mould on my window and do a tiny bit of housework.

It was only when I went back to work thinking that not only did I get to do, see, and eat a lot but I also managed to be productive that I realised that with 3 full days off I did not work on my thesis even a tiny bit. That and my mother said to me 'have you finished your thesis?'. I couldn't help but laugh since I have barely started.

I've asked my work to go part time starting next semester and I have one more placement to do and I am determined to start acting more like a student and actually doing homework.

----
Mulled Wine

This is so easy to make and great for the weather we are having in Melbourne at the moment. I just combined a few recipes.

750mL Bottle of red wine
4 cinnamon sticks
A pinch of cloves
2 tablespoons of grated orange rind
3/4 cup-1 cup of orange juice (I used freshly squeezed since I ran out of OJ)
1-4-1/2 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
1/2 cup of Maple Syrup

Method:
Bring all the ingredients to a low simmer in a large pot and simmer for around ten to fifteen minutes

Strain the solids from the brew and serve in mugs with Cinnamon sticks.

6 comments:

ann said...

sounds delicious!

best wishes for your studies - from another fellow in thesis wilderness

Anonymous said...

oh I loved the mulled wine! can't wait to make some of my own!

Chai said...

There is another review of Las Chicas here.

Any chance of letting slip what the thesis title is?

K said...

Claire, glad you liked it just a shame about our dvds.

Chai, no chance besides I haven't even settled on my title yet. Why do you ask?

Ann, thanks and we will have to catch up soon. I haven't seen you for ages!

Chai said...

Was just curious.

Theresa said...

I know how you're feeling--I haven't done anything for my thesis in the past two weeks. I have my confirmation seminar coming up, for which I have to give a 30 minute talk, and turn in a 2000 word proposal and a 'substantive piece of scholarly writing'. I know it's not a huge deal, but I can't focus on any of it right now!