Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I used to be a good student, I swear!

I always had good grades, I had to get into uni, and then to get into my honours course and then to get into my current Masters course. But now, I'm just want to pass.

I'm not sure what it is, but studying straight out of school when I had an easy job and lived with my parents was a 1000 times easier than now. I now have to work to pay my rent, and work takes up a lot of my energy and is 'full on' to say the least and then there is housework and other responsibilities.

I like to think that it is because my priorities have changed and I now live more for the present than the future. So I focus on Mr T and family and friends and just living instead of study. But I'm sure a huge part is just laziness.

On Monday my worst fears were confirmed that I have to start my thesis all over again. It's a long story and anyone who knows me knows that I was struggling with motivation with it but it still sucks. All those meetings, research, stupid proposals, all down the drain :-(

4 comments:

cristy said...

Oh Kristy, that sucks, you poor thing.

I can totally sympathise about the lack of motivation. I rue the day that I started my bloody PhD and would love to just walk away from it so that I can just live my life!

Good luck with your new topic. Hopefully you will (at least) enjoy it a little more?

Theresa said...

Oh no! Hopefully things work out better this time around. I think finding motivation is really the hardest part about uni after honours-level.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Kristy. I imagine the last thing you'd want to do after a days work is work on a thesis. Can you perhaps set up some kind of a reward system to help motivate you?

K said...

Cristy, thanks and I know what you mean.

Theresa, glad I'm not the only one.

Claire, that's not a bad idea. I just need to think of something that doesn't take all of my money.