Monday, July 06, 2009

Strawberry cupcakes

It was my cousin's 21st on sat night and so I made 80+ mini cupcakes for her party. I'm almost worked my way through vctotw so decided to try something else. I made Kittee's strawberry kake recipe (minus the food colour) and put them into mini cupcakes liners. I baked them for about 12 minutes. I was really really happy with the flavour of these moist cupcakes and have already put in a request for Mr T to make me the actual cake for my birthday. The recipe is quite interesting because it asks for blackcurrant cordial but I don't think you would ever guess it. I then made the vanilla icing from vctotw and added some of the cordial to it. I think next time I will just stick to the vanilla icing as I think flavouring it takes away from the actual cake part. I also made flowers but didn't like the way they tasted. I had one person at the party ask me if I would make cupcakes for children's parties, I said I would think about it. I kind of worry that if I bake for money regularly I will no longer enjoy baking. Besides I wouldn't know how much to charge, and also whether I would advise her that they are vegan.





I've recently updated my veg links on the site, if I have left someone out please let me know!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I think they look great! My mum sometimes bakes cakes for money, but never very often so I think she still enjoys it. Maybe rather than telling her your cakes are vegan straightaway, at first you can say they are dairy and egg free, and check if there are any other allergens she'd like you to avoid. Then drop the v word later on so it's not so confronting...

x said...

They look great!

And I think you should bake for others if you are asked to. If you do a quick costing of your ingredients you can give them a costing. If you find you stop enjoying baking then you could always say no, but I think go for it!

Also, you don't have to mention the word vegan but you could afterwards or let her know they'll be suitable to people who don't eat dairy/eggs.