Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I love the blog world!

Recently there was at least three blogs all attempting to answer the incredibly hard question: why are there so many anti-feminist women or rather the whole 'I'm not a feminist but...'.

Something that i'm always shocked by and a little saddened by. I faced it a lot when I was in HK. Perhaps because Mr T kept announcing that I was a feminist and then asking if they were a feminist (he meant well) they would reply quite defensively 'no i'm not a feminist'. But of course it stills exists here. I remember after a women studies class in my undergrad days one particularly girl who obviously walked in there with a preconception about what the class was, and then after the class spoke about how she hated men-bashing when the lecturer failed to mention men once. I've also had plenty of friends state feminist comments only to later defend by saying 'its not like a feminist or something'.

Anyway its a question for the ages and i wish i had time to post more. Go check out the lengthy posts at all of the blogs.

I first learned about it though sour duck links page which then led me to no pod and that lead me to mind the gap and finally i ended up at Hugos post which seems to be the original.

---------------------------------------------

Anyway also wanted to announce that I just completed my first semester of lecturing!

I had a senior lecturer call me up yesterday and congratulate me and basically told me about how lecturing when you first start is all about survival. News that would have been helpful at the beginning but still its nice to know that I wasn't alone in wanting to quite on more than once occasion. She then told me what everyone in the faculty says and you taught '..........(insert subject title here)' thats really really brave. Basically without revealing too much i taught a science/maths subject to social science students and they hate it. Everyone hates it and there is more anxiety with this subject than any other in the course because so many fail it.

She then told me that i should feel proud of myself to which i could honestly reply that i am.

4 comments:

Sour Duck said...

Congratulations on completing your first semester as a lecturer! Fantastic. :)

Harmonia said...

Hi there! Sorry I haven't been by in a while. Looks like I have some catching up to do! :) Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

I participated in a debate on the topic of "women belong in the kitchen" in high-school, (I was on the against side of course) and afterwards was teased by my the majority of my class for being a femminist. Like it's a bad thing! ha!

Congratulations on completing your first semester of lecturing. what stamina!

K said...

Thanks SG, harmonia, claire!

Claire, I can't believe that was an actual debate topic, crazy!