Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Is it just me?

Or does the future that you hoped for just seem so impossible?

Mr T and I were talking hypothetically (don't get too excited!) about having kids in about 3 years time. But before we have kids we need to go back to Hong Kong to see his family and our friends, we also need to go the US for my brothers wedding and we should try to buy a unit/flat. Am I asking too much, really? I'm not asking to buy a house, just a small flat/unit. I think it's best for us to go back to Hong Kong when we don't have to take small child/ren and don't have a mortgage or super expensive rent.

We can't afford to buy anything now or anywhere in the near future, I'm still working part time while I do my Masters which now looks like it is going to be dragged even further into the future thanks to my bloody thesis which I still don't have a topic for. Mr T is starting his second career in a new country which takes lots of time and we are poor, poor, poor.

It's overwhelming. Even if we just want to rent a bigger place (bigger than our cardboard box sized place) we can't afford it right now, or anytime in the near future. We can't exactly have a baby or two in the smallest 1 bedroom flat in the world. I don't think it's even fair to have another cat here, its too small. And even if I could afford to buy, how is one supposed to pay for a mortgage with just one income even for a tiny period of time while I give birth?

Oh yeah, we are also supposed to have a wedding, yeah right!

My family keeps trying to encourage me to move to places like Hoppers Crossing, but honestly I would prefer to rent in the smallest flat in the world then buy a huge house in Hoppers Crossing for lots of reasons. Besides, living in the outer burbs is pretty difficult if you are like Mr T and don't drive or like me and don't want to depend on a car.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I kind of wish I was 20 again and didn't have to think about this stuff for a while.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Good luck with everything! I'm with you (except on the kids part!), the prospect of buying a house is so scary! Surely interest rates have to stop rising soon, but even if they do, simply the fact of having a mortgage locks you into wage slavery for EVER! Especially if you have other big expenses like overseas trip or weddings. And then if you throw a baby into the mix... sheesh! Maybe you'll win the lottery?

K said...

Theresa, I hope so! Although it may be a little difficult since I don't enter :-)